History of the Livery
A summary of our history is below but click here to read the book.
The Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers was formed as a guild in 1951 but had to wait until 29 March 1963 to be given its ‘Letters Patent’ to become the 83rd livery company in the City of London.
Much earlier, in 1903, the Furnishing Trades Provident and Benevolent Association was formed and one of its first actions was to establish a home to ‘maintain and educate the orphans and necessitous children of its members’.
The Furnishing Trades Benevolent Association (FTBA), as it later became, continued as the main charity operating in and widely recognised by the industry.
In 2005 the Company acquired 12 Austin Friars as Furniture Makers’ Hall and its permanent home in the City and became only the sixth livery company to acquire its first hall since the 17th century.